Many organizations use databases to store their most critical information: the information that manages their day-to-day operations. After the data is stored in databases, however, it is useless unless you can retrieve it for further business analysis. One example of a database management system is Microsoft SQL Server 2012. The language you use to retrieve information from SQL Server 2012 databases is the Structured Query Language (SQL). This course, SQL Querying: Fundamentals, will teach you to use SQL as a tool to retrieve the information you need from databases
This course is intended for individuals with basic computer skills, familiar with concepts related to database structure and terminology, and who want to use SQL to query databases.
Basic end-user computer skills and some familiarity with database terminology and structure are required. Completion of one of the following Logical Operations courses or equivalent knowledge and skill are highly recommended:
- Using Microsoft® Windows® 8.1
- Microsoft® Windows® 8 Transition from Windows® 7
At Course Completion
- In this course, you will compose SQL queries to retrieve desired information from a database.
- You will:
- Connect to the SQL Server database and execute a simple query.
- Include a search condition in a simple query.
- Use various functions to perform calculations on data.
- Organize the data obtained from a query before it is displayed on-screen.
- Retrieve data from multiple tables.
- Export the results of a query.
Lesson 1: Executing a Simple Query
- Connect to the SQL Database
- Query a Database
- Save a Query
- Modify and Execute a Saved Query
Lesson 2: Performing a Conditional Search
- Search Using One or More Conditions
- Search for a Range of Values and NULL Values
- Search Data Based on Patterns
Lesson 3: Working with Functions
- Perform Date Calculations
- Calculate Data Using Aggregate Functions
- Manipulate String Values
Lesson 4: Organizing Data
- Sort Data
- Rank Data
- Group Data
- Filter Grouped Data
- Summarize Grouped Data
- Use PIVOT and UNPIVOT Operators
Lesson 5: Retrieving Data from Multiple Tables
- Combine the Results of Two Queries
- Compare the Results of Two Queries
- Retrieve Data by Joining Tables
Lesson 6: Exporting Query Results
- Generate a Text File
- Generate an XML File